OK, I know that a walkabout is really done in Australia but I'm gonna use that term for the nature hike that Dave and I did on Thursday.
The Hacienda Barú Wildlife Reserve is about half an hour from where we stayed in Dominical and everyone knows that the best time to see much of the wildlife is early in the morning. So, we woke up at 5:00 in the morning, slugged down some coffee and then filled our backpack and headed out by 5:30. I could swear that I heard my brain yelling at me because it was so early and we (my brain and I), are supposed to be on vacation. But I turn off the voices in my head and we proceed to leave for the reserve.
The reserve is quite large and while we walked about 3 miles altogether, we still only covered a little more than half of the entire place.
The park itself is very easy to walk around in since it is all pretty flat and even though we arrived there by six o'clock, it seems like most birds were already hiding on us.
We did see quite a few things though, a pair of hawks with a nest, some vultures, several butterflies and some hummingbirds too. We also saw a couple of agouti in our path, a sloth, and a great male curassow up in a tree.
I didn't realize that the SD card in my camera is not a micro version so I can't upload my pictures because my tablet uses a micro SD.. Ah, technology!!
After all this as we are heading out of the trails Dave spots, in the middle of the path a green snake about two and half feet long...some would say yuk but what really got me was the fact that he was in the middle of eating a frog and you could see the frogs legs hanging out of the snakes mouth...super yuk!!! The only good thing was that his mouth was already full so if he was poisonous and had any intention to bite us he'd have to spit out his lunch.
All in all this was actually a nice walk on a day that was fairly cool and we got to see a few cool things.
Back at our rental by 1:00, just in time to take a power nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment